As we said the average life of a wood shingle roof is thirty to forty years and a good quality proeprly-installed wood shake roof will last twenty to forty years. However the life expectancy of the roof can vary depending on some of the following factors:
- Flashing material, installation quality, proper details
- How the shingles were installed
- How the wood shingle or shake roof is ventilated. For example wood shingles installed on solid plywood roof decking can be expected to have a shorter life than the same shingles installed over skip sheathing or spaced nailers that provide plenty of ventilation.
- The pitch of the wood shingle or wood shake roof (its slope)
- The wood shingle or wood shake grade or quality
- The wood shingle or wood shake roof’s exposure to overhanging trees or debris that may hold water on its surface
- The wood shingle or wood shake roof’s exposure to shade that may promote moss or lichens growth
- The wood shingle or wood shake roof’s sun and weather exposure
Besides selecting a durable wood, the most important factor is to make a determination of its ability to dry out from both the top and the bottom when wet. Two approaches are used:
- Create a system of spaced sheathing above the solid sheathing using vertical and horizontal battens
- Use a breathable underlayment applied over the sheathing
Click here to read how long other types of roofing systems last.
Tile Roofing Done Right By Right Way Roofing, Inc.
Right Way Roofing, Inc. has been the #1 provider people turn to in the Phoenix area for over fifty years. A family-owned business, they can help you with your roofing needs for your home and business. As long-time members of the Arizona Roofing Contractors, you can have confidence we will build or replace a roof you can be proud of as we offer some of the greatest labor and material warranties in the roofing industry. Call today to schedule an appointment! East Valley: 480-232-5458 or West Valley: 502-299-8851.
At Right Way Roofing, Inc. we use an extremely strong underlayment to ensure your roof lasts longer than typical tile roofs. Most roofing companies use a cheap underlayment that will wear out in under 20 years. Our roofing underlayment will last much longer due to the high-quality underlayment. Get a free tile roofing installation quote in you live in the Phoenix Metropolitan Area. We also service Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, Glendale and more.