Average Roof Repair Cost
Roof repair costs an average of $650, but RoofingCalc says you can expect to pay between $150 to $400 for minor roof repairs, $400 to $1000 for moderate roof repairs, and the way up to $1000 to $3000 for major roof repairs.
- Minor Roof Repair Cost: $150 to $400
- Moderate Roof Repair Cost: $400 to $1000
- Major Roof Repair Cost: $1000 to $3000
On This Page:
- Roof Leak Repair Cost
- Asphalt Shingle Repair Cost
- Tile Roof Repair Cost
- Wood Shake Roof Repair Cost
- Flat Roof Repair Cost
- Metal Roof Repair Cost
- Slate Roof Repair Cost
- Where To Find Roof Leaks
- Roof Repair Costs By Material Type
Roof Leak Repair Cost
On average, roof leak repair costs about $650 with prices ranging from $500 to $1,750 in the US for 2019 according to FIXR. The most common causes of roof leaks include missing shingles, leak gutters, leaking flashing, leaking valley, vertical slits, leaking chimneys, leaking skylights, ice dams, and inadequate roof pitch. With metal roofs, leaks are usually found in fasteners and seams. With asphalt roofs, leaks are usually found in vertical slits and cracks. With slate roofs, leaks are usually found in tile edges and edges of the roof. In tile roofs, leaks are usually found in the underlayment underneath the tile, in flat or foam roofs, leaks are usually found in cracks or insulation board.
Common Roof Repair Costs by Material
Roofing materials vary by design, material, and style. These materials include asphalt shingles, wood shake roofs, single ply roofing, flat roofing, foam, composite roofing, and metal.
Average Asphalt Shingle Repair Cost
The average cost of asphalt shingle repair cost is $712. with prices ranging from $317 to $1,159 in the US for 2019 according to HomeAdvisor.
Asphalt shingles are designed to withstand 110mph winds. With age or when shingles are not properly installed, they can lift up or blow off the roof. These shingles are designed to be installed with a series of nails in a thicker section of the shingle called the nailing strip. If roofers are moving too quickly the nails are not driven properly and shingles will be more prone to blowing off or lifting.
Average Tile Roof Repair Cost
The average tile roof repair cost is $1,500. Tile roof repair costs ranged from $450 to $8,000 in 2018-2019 according to FIXR. Replacing the underlayment is the most expensive roof service for tile roofs.
As one of the most popular roofing materials in Arizona tile roofs can be compromised by shifted, sliding, cracked, or missing tiles. The design of tile roofs incorporates the underlayment in the water-shedding design of the roofing system. This means old or poor quality underlayment can be a very common cause for leaking tile roofs. Lightweight felt ages and can easily cause leaks. Galvanized steel underlayment also ages over time and it is possible that corrosion will allow water to leak through holes in its material.
Average Wood Shake Roof Repair Cost
The average wood shake roof repair cost is $750. Wood shake repair costs ranged from $500 to $1,000 in 2018-2019.
Wood is a natural material and therefore is susceptible to insects and moss. If wood shake roofs are not maintained properly moss will cause the shakes to deteriorate and leave your decking exposed. This is more of a risk when the roof gets a lot of shade.
Average Single Ply, Flat, & Foam Roof Repair Cost
The average single ply, flat and foam roof repair cost is $700. Single-ply, flat and foam roof repair cost ranged from $500 to $900 in 2018-2019.
Flat roofs are designed to be level and even to help avoid water from pooling and staying on the roof. Over time sections of the roof will start to sag causing uneven areas and water to start to pool. Improper originally installation can mean that materials were not sealed correctly or sections did not adhere securely. This can be caused by roofers that don’t take the time to clean the roof before installing roofing materials. Some roofing systems include insulation board. If there are leaks in the roofing materials, this insulation board soaks up and stores water. This can lead to the growth of mold in your roof.
Average Metal Roof Repair Cost
The average metal roof repair cost is $1,000. Metal roof repair cost ranged from $500 to $1,500 in 2018-2019.
There are a few reasons metal roofs can start to leak. Clearly when they are not installed correctly leaking metal roofs are not a surprise. Fasteners and seams are the areas that are common leak problems. These problems are either caused by the effects of time loosening the fasteners and seams, or caused by inadequate installation. Bad repairs, missing hardware, or roof modification also will lead to leaky metal roofs.
Average Slate Roof Repair Cost
The average slate roof repair cost is $1,025. Metal roof repair costs ranged from $550 to $1,500 in 2018-2019.
When slate roofs are not installed properly individual slate tiles can stick up and let water into your roof. For areas that get snow in Arizona, there is also a chance of ice dams causing leaks. When water cannot run off the roof or is backing up into gutters it will find somewhere to go, unfortunately, this might mean right into your home.
Finding Roof Leaks
When water is already leaking into your home it can be relatively easy for roofing contractors to find the source. Some leaks are harder to see and are only noticeable as there’s damage to wood or an odor. Sloped or pitched roofs can make finding the source of leaks harder as water can travel.
Water can also leak through pipes, skylights, and chimneys where flashing is no longer effective. Gutters can also backup if there is a lot of buildup blocking the drainage of water. A thorough inspection by highly skilled roofing contractors is the best way to catch all of the problem areas.
Roof Leak Search Tip
Gravity is the biggest thing to remember when looking for roof leaks as water always travels downhill. This is true even if you have a flat roof, as even these are not completely flat. When you see a water spot above your sofa in the living room the problem may very well be there, or if the slope is steep it could be much further up the roof. If you are struggling to find the leak, look for dampness or mold in your attic with a flashlight, or call for a *free roofing inspection.
Where To Find Roof Leaks
There are common areas that roofs leak despite being made from different materials. Here are some of the most common areas that roofs leak.
When two sloped roof panels join the create a lower area called a valley. Naturally, water will flow down from both sides and cause a lot of water to flow through these areas. To cover these areas with roofing many times they must be cut to fit. These cuts even when done by professional roofers are covered with flashing in the valley and sealant is used to offer a watertight seal. The sealant should be routinely inspected as it can be a weak point. The average cost around $20 for a ten-foot piece of flashing in the US for 2019 according to Homeadvisor.
When pipes, skylights, and chimneys protrude out of the roof they are made watertight by installing thin sections of metal called flashing. The flashing ages and can crack or corrode over time. Many plumbing vents include a rubber gasket which only lasts about 10 years. Other vents and pipes tie into gas appliances and have storm collars made of metal. These areas can be a source of roof leaks. The average price of repairing roof flashing is $15. Prices ranged from $10 to $20 for roof flashing repair in the US for 2019 according to Homeadvisor.
While everyone loves a roaring fire during cold weather, no one enjoys water flowing in from around the chimney. Chimneys are caulked and have flashings that prevent water from entering your home. With time, heat, and other weather the flashing and caulk deteriorates and needs to be replaced. Your chimney itself might also be cracked due to age and may let water in past the flashings. The average flashing for a chimney costs is around $20 and masonry caulk and flashing sealant cost an average of $5 each according to Homeadvisor.
Having natural light flowing into your home through a skylight is a wonderful way to light your home. But they can be a source of many roof leaks. If you have skylights you should check the top flat upper edge of the skylight for gaps in the sealant or go with solar tubes, which cost a little more but aren’t known for leaks like traditional skylights are. Check the flashing too for being flush and having enough sealant. While a tube of clear silicone sealant costing around $5 can patch the skylight window – the average cost of replacing the skylight window is $53. Prices ranged from $25-$80 for skylight window replacement in the US for 2019 according to Homeadvisor.
Missing Roofing Granules
Roofing shingles are typically covered with tiny stone granules which protect the roof from foot traffic and UV rays. Over time these granules wear off and expose the shingle to the elements. It is a best practice to replace shingles that are bare before you notice leaks. The average cost for a bundle of shingles is $30 in the US for 2019 according to Homeadvisor.
Roof Repair Costs By Material Type
Roofs can be designed not only in various styles but also made and assembled from a wide variety of materials. These include asphalt shingles, composite roofing, wood shake, flat, foam, single-ply or metal roofing. The cist is determined by the kind of style and the material you decide to use for your roof. Tile or slate roofs are among the most difficult and expensive to repair, meanwhile, shingle roofs are considered easy and very cost-effective to repair.
Metal Roofs – Average Cost: $300
- A potential leak point occurs when shingles have been removed or fasteners for panels (both of these can be caused by a myriad of reasons) and the missing area is improperly sealed.
- In situations where there is a lot of contraction and expansion, fasteners come become loose over time.
- On occasions, water can come in where the seams have worked themselves loose.
- Improper modification or repair.
Asphalt Shingles – Average Cost: $250
- Modern shingles can withstand 110 mph winds but shingles that are not attached properly can become loose and come off in storms that are lower power.
- In very high winds they can blow off completely or at least lift up.
- The “nailing strip” on a shingle where the nails (usually 5) are to be driven through is a stronger section of the shingle. If this is not utilized, it means the shingle is anchored by a section that is weaker.
Composite Roofing – Average Cost: $300
- Compared to other shingles they are very lightweight.
- One advantage of composite shingles is they frequently give a tell-tale sign they are ready to be replaced as the stone granules start to remove themselves very easily.
- They are far more likely to be damaged by high winds than other forms of the shingle.
- They also lift is in adverse weather more easily and this allows water to blow in beneath.
- Composite roofs potentially can lose whole sections while roofs made from asphalt may only lose a handful of shingles.
Wood Shake – Average Cost: $360
- Despite cedar shakes being a natural preservative and repellant, not to mention the most resistant to UV, if not properly maintained wood shake is an attraction to insects.
- If they are subjected to a great deal of shade, the yare susceptible to the buildup of moss. This can cause the wood to deteriorate and makes your roof exposed to further damage.
Slate Roofs – Average Cost: $530
- Slate roofs can suffer from a phenomenon known as ice-damming – a situation where ice builds up in a place where it has no way to melt except into your ceiling.
- Nails hold slate tiles in place. But if the tiles are nailed too tightly, leak problems can occur from this improper installation when the edge sticks up.
Tile Roof – Average Cost $350
- Leaking from the first day, The inherent design of the tile roof allows water to go underneath the tiles and then it goes down to the underlayment, If the house is older, the underlayment may just be made from tar paper.
- Over a period of years, heat from the sun can cause deterioration. If galvanized steel has been used in your underlayment, it can corrode and holes can become formed that allow water access into space in your attic.
- Sliding tiles or tiles that have become cracked will over time expose the underlayment of your roof. When this protective barrier starts to weaken or deteriorate, it is virtually a guarantee that a leak will start to occur.
Foam, Flat or Single-Ply Roofs – Average Cost $400
- If the membrane beneath was not properly sealed, single-ply roofs can leak.
- If the roof was not properly cleaned before the application, it may pill up in high winds if the foam has not adhered properly.
- Mold can be grown water can be trapped when the insulation board can act like a sponge.
- Water can pool up with aging flat roofs when they have sags that are minor preventing correct flowing to the drains.
Other Common Roof Repair Costs
Damage can occur to anything that is exposed to the elements. Many people, when inspecting their own roofs do not look at the following areas but they are worthy of the same attention as the roof.
Soffits and Fascia Repairs
Soffits and fascia are a lot more than just an enclosed overhang or decorative edging. They both play a role in protecting the roof structure at the edges and assist with ventilation of the attic. Soffits and fascia damage and deterioration are usually caused by small animals and insects. This damage can then cause further damage to your guttering. Soffit panels cost an average of around $20 for a 12-foot longboard and the average price of 8-foot fascia board is $20 with costs ranging from $10 to $20 in the US for 2019 according to Homeadvisor.
Roof Truss Repair
Trusses are the main structural support of your roof. Leaks will track along with them before they then drip downwards onto the ceiling – so this is one of the major things to inspect for damage. Steel boards can often be utilized to reinforce a damaged truss or other boards that can be applied either side in a process known as sistering if the crack is in the middle of the truss. People sometimes make the error and cause more damage by attaching them with construction wood screws not realizing the pounding causes more damage. However, if the truss is sagging or moldy, call Right Way Roofing because some molds are lethal and at least dangerous to inhale. It is difficult to estimate the cost of repair as the damage caused can vary significantly. However, be sure to check them thoroughly, because it can cost thousands of dollars if the damage is beyond repair.
Roof Gutter Repairs
No one will say cleaning gutters is a glamorous or enjoyable task, it is messy and very time-consuming. That said, it is very simple to do and contributes to keeping your roof protected. If you do not, you risk the following:
- They fall away or leak from the house, allowing water to poll up and damage the foundation. This will cost you a great deal of money!
- They can start to fall apart themselves by trapping water and cause damage to the trusses, the fascia, and the underlayment.
Gutters that are broken will need replacement or repair if there are fewer damages, so water runoff can exit properly from your roof. Smaller holes can be remedied with a patch and a tube of good quality roofing cement. The material the patch is made from has to be the same material as the gutter itself so corrosion is avoided. The average cost of this is $3 with prices ranging from $2 to $4 in the US for 2019 according to Homeadvisor.
- If you have to replace the joiner, these average around $4.50 each for in the US for 2019 according to Homeadvisor.
- The average cost for replacing a section of gutter is $5.50 for a 10-foot section. Costs range from $4 to $7 for a 10-foot section in the US for 2019 according to Homeadvisor.
- The average cost of Hangers is $1.50 with prices ranging from $1 to $2 in the US for 2019 according to Homeadvisor.
Right Way Roofing Offers Roof Repairs In Phoenix & Mesa, AZ
If you live in Phoenix, Mesa, Scottsdale, Chandler, Tempe, Apache Junction or anywhere in the Phoenix valley and you have a damaged or leaking roof, Right Way Roofing can help. We can do the work finding the damaged area, recommend the most affordable repairs, and get the job done the Right Way. Roof repair is our business and we strive for the highest customer satisfaction by using the best materials and giving every job our full attention. Give us a call to get your roof repaired by calling 480-232-5458 (East Valley) or 602-299-8851 (West Valley). Learn more about roof repair cost in Phoenix.